Monday 19 September 2011

Ior

 
'Ior' Rune Cards, Linsell

Ior is a river fish and yet it always
Feeds on land; it has a fair abode
Encompassed by water
Where it lives in happiness. 
(Iar byþ eafix and ðeah a bruceþ
 fodres on foldan, hafaþ fægerne eard 
wætre beworpen, 
ðær he wynnum leofaþ.)

~Anglo-Saxon Rune Poem


 
All the cards in the Rune Cards Oracle are based on verses from the Anglo-Saxon Rune Poem, which I had never even heard of before I read the LWB that came with this deck. Today I've pulled, at random, the card for Ior, the Beaver card.

Okay, I have to admit it. The first thing I think of when I see this card is the YouTube of the Dramatic Prairie Dog:



(You see why I have trouble getting things done? Because of stupid clips like this that lead to another and another. They amuse...)

You know, I always wondered why the old Roman Catholic church used to say it was okay to eat beaver on Fridays and classed it as a fish. I didn't realise that it was a common thought also shared by the Anglo-Saxons. I guess the Beaver is sort of like a fish...it certainly seems at home in the water. It looks out of place on land, and is not very graceful, really, but in the water, away it goes!

In a reading, I would certainly take this to be an encouragement of working hard, adapting to your environment, not giving up, seeing to details, and eventually enjoying the results of your labours.  (After I stopped giggling because I couldn't stop thinking about that YouTube. Now whenever I turn that card over, in my mind I'll be singing: 'Duh - duh -DUUUUHHHHH!!!')

Herb of the Week: Bilberries
Excellent for the eyes and eyesight. Good for treatment of macular degeneration, night vision, and cataracts. Also treats capillary fragility, so good for vericose veins. The berries can be eaten fresh, cooked in pies, made into jams, syrups, glycerins, or brandy pots. Their rich colour makes them high in antioxidants. The leaves are useful in treatment of urinary tract infections and can help regulate blood sugar. Use the leaves to make teas. For magical use, the bilberry is said to have protective properties, but to be honest, I can find little evidence of traditional folk use of this plant. If you know something, do share!

3 comments:

  1. I was wondering today if your thoughts about 13 moons have coalesced into anything verbal?
    I almost forgot to put my water jug out last night for my moon water :) It is such a silly thing, I just love it.
    Sharyn/AJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you mean the book by Fiona Walker-Craven? Are you requesting a book review? :)

    (I have some moon blessed water that I made on the last blue moon. I put it in a blue bottle. :D)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very cool, informative clip :) (Featuring one of the best funnies on youtube.) It's hard to imagine the Romans sitting down to a beaver roast. I wonder if they left the odd, flat paddle tail on...

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here: