Friday 13 January 2012

Musings on the Gaian Tarot Twos

Twos represent balance to me, the need for it, and the gaining of it. They can show balance, cooperation and choices OR fear and weakness on their darker side.





Gaian Tarot by Joanna Powell
I know I said I wouldn't post all the images, and I promise I won't but allow me this indulgence while I get the hang of analysing these images in sets.

Top left we see Two of Fire. Now, using merely the card suit and the number, this image should make me think of a new idea or venture that is achieving or that is seeking balance or facing choices. For me, the pretty people with the flesh on show clutching each others bums means they've just got one 'venture' on their minds, and it ain't a clever new way to tie up shoelaces. For me, this image instantly makes me think of lovers and partners, which I usually associate more with Two of Cups (in this deck Two of Water). So I'm not sure this idea works for me or is needed as it is...

However, the sexual tone is certainly taken out of Two of Water in this deck. Two of Cups actually is about relationships and emotions, not just lovers, and so this card brings that out very clearly. The companionship between the woman and her dog speaks very strongly of unconditional love and faithfulness...but is that the nature of the number two in tarot? Possibly, if the two is about balance, which would suggest and equal giving and taking between the two beings in the relationship.

Speaking of balance, the Two of Air here shows a woman who seems to be simultaneously meditating, listening to birds, and taking her pulse. Is she achieving balance in her mind, ie, thought life? Is she balancing her 'monkey mind' with her body and spirit? Could be. This card may be more about the 'need' for balance than the achieving of it, and it is typical of the sword suit that there be an edge of warning or attempt to address disharmony.

Finally, what for me is one of the most annoying and grating cards in this deck (of which there actually are many), Two of Earth. Now I'm not the most maternal person alive, and I have no love of babies even when they're cooing and gurgling, so the image of someone juggling two squalling and surly infants while trying to choose his produce for the week is not a lovely one! But we've got lots here to do with the suit of earth--food, family, the body (the notion of one's progeny, etc), going about the mundane tasks of daily life, facing the realities of streaming noses and no one around to help...that's all very 'earthy'. So actually, as much as I dislike it, this card is a pretty good one when it comes to depicting balancing in the earthly realm of life.

Question is, do the images work for me? The Two of Fire throws me every time I look at it. My instant response is 'lovers'. But, when you look at the deck as a whole, there aren't many (if any) cards besides this one that even address the  'I've got the hots for you' kind of vibe. So there has to be one. Guess this is it! The rest of the images work for me...in a new way.

So, right now it's trim 0, don't trim 2.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Carla,

    The Two of Fire is the only card that was seriously altered from the Special Edition to the Mass Market, and not for the better as far as I'm concerned. The other version had fire and passion, but not just sexual, as two fire blowers spat fire in a team performance - you can see it on Joanna's site. Still, as you say, the notions of passion and choices do fit with the card's energy...
    Cx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carla, I think it's awesome that you are giving the Gaian a chance. Sometimes we fail to see how a deck could help us because we don't look at it with the attention it deserves. :)

    I like how relationships in their many facets are portrayed in this deck... the more I look at the Gaian, the prettier I find it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I will have a look at that, C. I've just been pondering the fire breather in 5 of Fire. It took on such meaning for me, I think having two of them on one card might have trumped it, and that would have been no good since 5 is higher up than 2...so maybe that's why they changed it.

    Marina, thanks for the encouragement! I was wondering if watching me meander through these would make for boring reading. Hope not! :) Input greatly accepted. xx

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here: