Thursday 12 April 2012

Lenormand Study -- DOG

Melissa Lenormand 2nd Edition 2011
Lately I've been looking at my Mystical Lenormand quite a bit, and the other day, my 2nd edition Melissa Lenormand arrived, and so I would like to embark on a study of these cards. I am a complete newbie to the Lenormand cards and system, and so this will be a useful exercise for me. I encourage comments that will help me along my path to learning this system of divination.


In my reading about the Lenormand system, I've concluded that the best way to go about reading the cards is to develop my own set of associations (based on tradition as well), and to leave out analysis of individual artists' interpretation of the card. For my Lenormand style, I intend not to worry so much what direction a figure is facing, or what colours are used, etc. I want to do a pure Lenormand reading style from the beginning, then let it flow from there as I grow. I really hope that I take off with this system, as I haven't been this excited about any divination tool since I discovered tarot.




For this series of study entries, I intend to draw a card daily, with no other intention than to study the card. I will continue until all 36 Lenormand cards have been examined. This probably won't be 36 days or entries in a row!  As I become more familiar with the cards, I will begin as soon as possible to start linking them. The trick to Lenormand readings is to link the cards together to create meaning in the reading. I am so looking forward to this! 


DOG (18)
It's a great comfort to me that most of the associations of Lenormand cards are the ones that naturally come to my mind. It certainly was a lot harder with tarot card meanings! I mean, when you think of a dog, what do you think of?
Man's best friend?
Companion?
Loyal?
Faithful?
Guess what, these are the traditional Lenormand meanings! I also think of humble service, selflessness, devotion, self-sacrifice, going above and beyond the call of duty or expectation. Reliability, unfailing support (I remember the times I've been down and my dog would just sidle up and puts his chin on my  knee and look up at me, all sympathy.) I think of stories of dogs going into burning buildings to save others, being able to detect an oncoming epileptic seizure, or sniff out cancer, of going for help. I think of dogs that pine away at their master's grave. I think of dogs that sacrifice themselves trying to fight off bigger or stronger animals in defense of their young or their human companions.


These are the qualities I will associate with this card in my Lenormand readings. Friendship, faith, loyalty, service, devotion, support, humility, reliability, helping and healing skills that come from a deeply natural place.





3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12.4.12

    Carla, it's great to see someone learning this fantastic oracle.

    Your associations with the Dog are great. Tradition holds that this card shows a friend, friendless and fidelity.

    It's also often used to represent a male. In my practise, I've found this is often the case with female seekers, who are married. For some reason, the Dog is their spouse. Often they have been married some time, too.

    I think that's why Melissa showed a woman and a dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your input! I'm glad to see I'm on the right track. :) Interesting that Dog sometimes shows up as husband. I can see that. I often compare my own husband to a big golden retriever. He's always in a good mood and very affectionate--and has gingery blond hair. And he galumphs around bumping into things. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your thoughts and the additional comments on this card. Look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here: