Wednesday 19 December 2012

Devil in the Details

Arthurian Tarot, 1990
My first thought on seeing this card is 'Snow!', but the forecast for the day is rain and around freezing...but still, if it's that cold, it could get slick out there. Today's card is the Arthurian Tarot (Aquarian Press, 1990) Devil card--XV The Green Knight.

I have to say, this Green Knight bears no resemblance to my own idea of the Green Knight from the medieval tale recounted earlier in my blog here. This guy is dressed in leaves, and has bare feet!


There has been some suggestion that the Green Knight is actually a throw-back to the Holly King, an archetypal figure for which there is not much real evidence but which was popularised in the writing of Robert Graves. According to Graves, the Holly King battles the Oak King at the turn of the season, often thought of as Winter Solstice. (Which is this Friday). Because Gawain has also been known as 'May-Hawk', the creators of the Arthurian Tarot equate him with the Oak King and see the exchange of blows between Gawain and the Green Knight as a remnant of tales of the battle between the Oak King and Holly King (or King of Summer and King of Winter). I have serious reservations about the scholarship of Robert Graves (and to be honest, sometimes of the Matthews), but it's a tidy story.

Gawain and the Green Knight

So what temptations will I face today? The usual. When I woke up, I was tempted to call in sick. I do have a headache, and I'd certainly rather stay home than go in. But I guess I'd better not. Then of course at work I will be tempted by the Christmas goodies. Then at home I will be tempted not to exercise (which I haven't done since the first week of December). My temptations seem to be NOT to do things rather than to do things. The path of least resistance has always been my favourite shortcut to the end of the day, so no surprises there. That in itself could be what the Green Knight stands for as my daily draw. The Hallowquest companion book lists 'self-limitation, stagnation' as possible meanings.

I don't feel stagnant necessarily, just tired all the time. I'm looking forward to this holiday and hope I manage to sleep during it.

May I take note of temptations today, and not offer my neck for the chop! 

Mantra: Narasimha tavada so hum (  protection mantra)

Flower essence: Walnut (helps to break bad habits, overcome challenges)




2 comments:

  1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't really get the Holly and Oak Kings! Though I'm going to have to study up on it, seeing as I've put them in the Celtic Lenormand... :o

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be careful with that headache, I have been ill for a week and it started with a bit of a head.

    Won't be in SS tomorrow, still quite ill so I hope you and yours have a safe and peaceful Christmas xx

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here: