Sunday 27 January 2013

You can't escape it: size really does matter

To my disgust, I still have not received the Lon Milo DuQuette book, Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot, but I did receive my new copy of the standard size Thoth Tarot, in the green box. As soon as I opened the box and spilled the cards into my hands, I knew I was right to have bought the larger version. It truly does not feel like the same deck. I can't explain why, but the larger cards are more vibrant, more inviting, more attractive than the smaller deck in the purple box.


I was surprised by how much bigger the standard size deck is! The entire smaller card, including borders, fits into the image on the larger card, with room to spare. I hope you can see from the scan above how much ricer the colours are in the larger deck. I noticed far more tiny details that completely escaped me in the smaller card, such as the grain in the background of the Hermit card.

I'm pretty certain I won't be using the little Thoth Tarot after this. The bigger deck is just so much better. I am sorely tempted to crop this deck to borderless, but I am going to resist that temptation, because these borders seem important to the deck, and seem to fit it very well. However, if it turns out Thoth becomes a significant reading deck for me, I will most likely get a second standard size Thoth and trim the borders.

Okay, Bonkers. Are you going to gloat? I am becoming slowly enamoured of the attractions of this deck, though I do still find it cold and cerebral. Its edge is nearly gone, as far as my feeling it is sinister. Now I realise it is not sinister, it is detached. Detached can be good.

10 comments:

  1. The Green Box was my first Thoth Tarot. However, although I am tall, were too big for my hands. I bought the Purple Box and Blue Box, and all the Purple was that best adapted to my hands.
    I consider large decks good for meditation, but minors are good for readings. So keep all within reach :)
    A hug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emanuel! I won't get rid of the purple box--but what is this blue box??? I am not familiar with it!

      A hug back. :D

      Delete
    2. Gah, we're losing you to the Dark Side ;)
      Cxx

      Delete
    3. Mwah ha ha!!

      Delete
  2. ;]

    I personally really like my trimmed deck, in which I left the top and bottom borders but got rid of the sides. That way the titles or all still there, but the images do pop more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, you are a little enabler, aren't you!! I am going to leave it for now, sometimes I get scissor happy with a brand new deck and regret it later. But if I decide to trim, I would like to see scans of yours, please!

      Delete
    2. I think there may be some pictures of it on the general trimming thread/index on AT, but if you can't find there or want to see more/better quality images, just let me know. I kinda just realized the other week that I have access to nice scanners in my school library (they be hidden on another floor, lol) so I can easily do :]

      Delete
  3. I was gifted the larger Thoth at Christmas... as soon as I saw my standard version (which I bought after many years of resistance!) I knew I should have gotten the larger deck. I agree it is like a different deck and you can see so much more. I like the Thith to read intuitively.. will be keen to hear how you find the book Carla...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have used the larger deck for years, but now arthritis is seriously affecting my grip I need to downsize to a smaller one. I'm just hoping that after my long experience with the full sized set the smaller ones will still resonate for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have my smaller one up for sale on the TABI forum, if you're a member. :)

      Delete

Leave a comment here: