Wednesday 18 June 2014

What was that noise?

 “Hope” is the thing with feathers -
That perches in the soul -
And sings the tune without the words -
And never stops - at all -

And sweetest - in the Gale - is heard -
And sore must be the storm -
That could abash the little Bird
That kept so many warm -

I’ve heard it in the chillest land -
And on the strangest Sea -
Yet - never - in Extremity,
It asked a crumb - of me.

~ Emily Dickinson 


When does 'Hope' sing most sweetly? In the gale and storm, in the chillest land, and 
on the strangest sea. Hope will not abandon you. You just have to listen for it. 

Another 'prick up your ears' message, then. Listen to the tune without the words. 

1 comment:

  1. I love how these cards have been triggering so many connections to poetry and film for you - it's like they tap in differently than tarot cards where your associations are more fully formed and fixed :) Ah, hope! I have to admit, I love Emily Carding's depiction of hope as a double-edged sword, but that's in my darker moments...

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here: