I received the Silver Witchcraft Tarot last Friday afternoon and have been looking at it all week. Here's a little review.
Even though the deck is borderless and doesn't have multi-lingual titles, it does scream LoScarabeo from head to toe, so if that puts you off, beware. The artwork is by Franco Rivolli, who seems to be a very prolific craftsman because he has done quite a few tarots.
In all honesty, after just one week, I cannot say if this is a deck I will end up keeping. I will just provide you with a list of my own pros and cons.
- Colourful art work. It reminds me of the Radiant Rider Waite.
- Shiny silver edges.
- Suits have the elemental attributions I am accustomed to - Wands Fire, Cups Water, Swords Air, Pentacles Earth.
- There's at least a bit of action in the deck, things being blown about by the wind and so forth.
- The seasons of the year are depicted in the illustrations, somewhat.
- Traditional court cards are represented
- Strong earth-centric energy.
- Includes variety of ages, races and body types.
- No sexualised images.
- Most cards have at least a vague connection to traditional meanings.
- Elementals are represented (though they may also be a con!)
- The cards have a vibe. Can't say fairer than that.
- Images are slightly samey, consisting mostly of people in robes.
- The figures are fairly stiff and static.
- The pip cards do not have the correct number of pips. :(
- Cardstock is thick and shiny. (Some people love that)
- Some of the cards do not make sense without the book. But there are only a few cards like this.
- The little sylphs, gnomes, undines and salamanders are a bit too cutesy.
- All the cubes are a bit distracting.
|Silver Witchcraft Tarot - the cube cards|
|Silver Witchcraft Tarot -the minors 2-9|
There is nothing wrong with this deck, but I can see that I won't be getting it out for reading and for myself I don't find the images visually arresting enough to keep the deck to look at. So it really deserves a better home where it can be appreciated and loved.
Deck has been successfully traded. :)