Friday 12 December 2014

Experiencing the spiritual

What does the Universe wish me to submit to today?

It may seem a strange question, but I know what I mean by it, and those of you who also know may appreciate today's draw. In answer to the question, I've drawn Judgement, which is traditionally interpreted as 'heeding the call' to a new direction, etc. This card is very different in appearance, though the meaning is similar. We don't see any angels calling the dead to rise to new life. Instead we see the interior of the cathedral in Sienna, Italy.The guidebook points out and explains the various things going on in the card. In the background, a man prays. In a sunbeam, a child plays on a pattern on the floor representing the Wheel of Fortune. The lady in the card, according to the creator of the deck Lisa de St Croix, is her mentor Carrie Paris, practising a meditation technique. On the floor is a black and white fresco. So we see three different approaches to a spiritual experience -- awed worship, pure joyous connection in the moment, and a more mystic and internalised approach. The guidebook says: Judgement asks you to look at your beliefs and decide if they work for you.

Actually, I have been thinking a lot lately about my concepts of how to connect with what might be called a 'Higher Power'. Today's card answers my question by suggesting that I let go of my determination to hang on to these ideas about spiritual practices, and give new or rejected ones another chance. Let go of my willfulness and find a new way of experiencing Higher Power.

6 comments:

  1. Hmm, it's not bad to try mixing it up every now and again. We can get stuck in a rut in so many ways... I've been doing a single kind of meditation for about three and a half months, now, and just yesterday decided I needed to change it up, too :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire the fact that you're doing any kind at all. :)

      Delete
  2. I've given up on defining or shaping a HP (I never could find a prescribed one that felt genuine for me), and now I just collect and use spiritual practices to make that connection without the label.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm talking more about ways to relate to Higher Power. Maybe we shouldn't be too quick to fetch the Comet, know what I mean?

      Delete
    2. Ah, the Comet was merely to erase the song that gets stuck in my head. :) No diss on Bible school was intended (I actually enjoyed them as a child).
      The "relating" for me comes from my spiritual practices: meditation, self-inventory, service to others, etc.

      Delete

Leave a comment here: