Wednesday 1 July 2015

Cool me off, lady

The Llewellyn Tarot by Anna-Marie Ferguson (Llewellyn 1995)

It's the Queen of Cups today. I tell you I wish I were sitting in a chair in the midst of the wash and spray of the sea! It's too hot here -- we hates it, we hates it, we hates it forever! Today it is meant to get up to 30 C (that's 86 F). Now, I know where I come from, this is the temperature in late March, but I don't live where I come from anymore and furthermore virtually no one has air conditioning (including my workplace) and it is too hot! I hope this heat wave passes quickly. Me no likey, not at all.

Anyway, today's watery Queen of Cups reminds me to exercise some compassion and empathy today -- and that includes for myself. Tempers could fray in this heat, especially mine. Yesterday for example, I had a bad moment when I learned that a course I've gone on is incomplete, that I not only have one more paper to write for it, but I also have several papers that need revision. My first instinct was to just say, 'Screw this' and tell them to fail me. After all, earning this certificate will have no effect whatsoever on my pay or my position. When I signed up for this course, my colleagues all said, 'That sounds like a lot of work for nothing,' and guess what. It's turned out to be a lot of work for nothing. I can say it's for personal growth, but right now it just feels like a big bloody inconvenience and burden, a whip I made for my own back. So, I could do with some cool, watery thoughts from the Queen of Cups to help me explore my emotions and get them under control so I can make a rational decision about what to do. I wrote to the company and asked if I could have an extension until the end of November, and they are okay with that. So maybe after the rush + short staff of summer is over, when the weather is back to normal, I will feel more like dealing with doing something I hate -- facing the fact that I have not performed 'perfectly' and work has been sent back to me with RED MARKS to do over. (I hate not getting things right the first time.)

9 comments:

  1. It is so hot here too, so I envy this queen a lot
    I can imagine how irritating and with this weather even infuriating this setback must be
    Keep your head cool and wait until this heatwave is over. Then things will look so much different

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeesh, can't believe they've asked you to do stuff over. Sounds to me like it could be because of the issues you had with the teacher, rather than your ability or understanding! Anyhow, good luck with that cool compassion today :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was that and my attempt to fulfill the very broad assignments within the impossibly short word count. I'm not bothering with the word count anymore. If they want 'details and descriptions' they got it.

      Delete
  3. Just out of curiosity (as someone who lives in a place where it is hotter than ten thousand hells during the summer), why don't they have air conditioning? Is it that rare an occasion? I think I would have to bring a small fan to plug in.
    Ack, red marks. I would much rather have a person tell me to my face what and how I should revise something than spread red blotches around. Sending cool thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Partly it's not that common, partly it's old buildings you can't put air con in. Modern buildings are more likely to have it. But somehow the Brits always seem to be 'surprised' by weather, they can't cope when it snows, either :D

      Delete
    2. Most place aren't air conditioned because there aren't many hot days in the year, but when it gets hot it is quite uncomfortable! Hope it's cooler today.

      Delete
  4. You need to sit with your feet in some cool water like this Queen of Cups appears to be doing. She's holding a chalice but you could easily replace that with an ice cream cone and still maintain your Queenly status ;)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here: