Friday 30 August 2013

Stick 'em with the pointy end

Wow, two aces in a row! Yesterday I drew Ace of Wands and today it's Ace of Swords from Golden Tarot by Kat Black (US Games 2003). This is a card of inspired solutions, clear thinking, ability to cut through nonsense.

I like the way there's a little golden crown slid down the blade of the sword, like some sort of decoration. Nice touch. And I wonder what that 'trailing plant' is that the angel's holding. (The companion book offers no further information about it--maybe Kat Black didn't know, either.) Something about the angel's hair reminds me of Queen of Elizabeth I. I've also noticed that all the swords cards in this deck include a butterfly, a nod to the air element. I think the butterfly is a nice touch for a suit that is often taken to have negative meanings. It reminds us that hardships can be transformational.

Not that this card is an indicator of hardships. Aces are almost always seen as positive. Yesterday I felt inspired to start on a new project (and I drew the Ace of Wands). Perhaps today will see me think of ways to approach the project in a methodical, meaningful way so that I can actually finish it.

3 comments:

  1. Yay, excellent card for thinking through this new project (which I'm loving) :D

    I hadn't noticed that about the butterflies, must dig this deck out again some time soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should get it out if only just to admire it. It's really lovely. I just wish it were less plasticky, but you know how US Games decks can be, esp back then.

      Delete
    2. I have the Kunati edition, which I don't notice as being too plasticky. I got it from the Tarot Garden, where they still had copies at regular prices, even though amazon was showing crazy prices for second hand copies - go figure!

      Delete

Leave a comment here: