For this week's Share a Spread Sunday, I decided to do a general spread covering the period of Autumn Equinox (23 September) to Samhain (31 October). I thought it would be fun to try an idea from Deck of 1000 Spreads called 'divining a spread'. In this technique, you take the cards in Deck of 1000 Spreads (which are a kind of spreadcrafting marker) and instead of going through the deck and selecting card positions, you shuffle the deck as if it were a tarot deck and draw cards and see what you come up with. I decided to choose 7 cards, then just shuffled while asking myself, 'What do I need to know about, examine, work on in the weeks from Autumn Equinox to Samhain?' I then cut the deck and laid out the following seven cards:
You'll notice there are 8 cards. That's because while I was shuffling, one card went flying across the room and fluttered to the floor face down. I laid out my seven cards then went over and picked this one up. It was actually perfect for the outcome or final position. So there it is.
The spread positions are:
1. Problem - The topic or issue to be addressed.
2. Unconscious desires - Your 'unknown intentions' about the topic. I take this to mean things you haven't fully admitted to yourself or allowed yourself to see.
3. What you can't change - These are things you are going to have to learn to deal with; they are outside your sphere of influence.
4. Present - 'What's going on now in regard to your question.'
5. Hopes and fears - These are most likely things you are aware of.
6. Future life - Now this position is interesting, because it does not address the immediate future, but rather 'something relevant to a future lifetime, based on what's left unaddressed in this one.'
7. Mind - Either your current mindset, or how something affects your mental well-being.
8. Lesson - 'The karmic teaching you're meant to receive from the situation.'
I rather like the outcome of my first attempt at 'divining a spread.'