Thursday 4 August 2016

You gotta break some eggs

Growth/Decay from Devas of Creation, C Conway
Look who's turned up again. I can't say I'm particularly glad to see this card, because the events that unfolded last time I drew it were not at all fun and not something that I am prepared to share on this blog. But suffice to say that an 'anchor' in my life did unexpectedly prove to be a bit more rotten than I'd thought.

I just can't look at this image without picturing an egg and its chalaza, the white structure that serves as the anchor as the egg grows and develops (assuming it is fertile, which actually most commercial eggs are not).

You can see from the diagram how the chalaza anchors the egg yolk in the middle of the egg:




I can't help but think there is some wisdom in this. It must have some meaning for me, or else I would not have drawn this card twice, nor would I have seen it as an egg broken open in a bowl both times. 

I suppose when this card comes up, it is time to really take a good look around what has been supporting and sustaining equilibrium for you as you float in your safe comfort zone. It must be better to learn it's rotten before you shrivel up and fade away for its lack. Or worse yet, if we follow the egg analogy, get slammed around inside your shell until you are destroyed. 

There's a world outside the shell. The chalaza was keeping you anchored in the shell, which may have been the place for you for a time, but the world outside the shell is real, too. 

Going back to the card, the yolk in the bowl with the black chalaza is surrounded by swirling energy. Maybe being freed from the shell is the best thing that could have happened. Staying inside would have led only to death. But being freed suggests transformation into something else entirely. 

I know it seems a little silly to keep chasing this egg thing, but it's how I see the card and it's worth contemplation, even though it does not make a point for point tidy analogy. 

How am I no longer anchored, even though I thought I was? 

What structure, thing, person, or idea did I count on as my anchor? How has it gone bad? How is it failing to do the job I thought it was doing? 

Now that I'm free of that tether, what do I do? Where can I go? What does it mean for the direction of my life from now on? 

I can't answer those questions right now. I'm not sure what they point to. Or maybe I'm not ready to let myself go there. How about you? Can you answer those questions right now? And what does this contemplation reveal for you? 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here: