Tuesday, 16 August 2011

Come hear the music play

Click the card to hear the song


What good is sitting alone in your room?
Come hear the music play.
Life is a Cabaret, old chum,
Come to the Cabaret.

Put down the knitting,

The book and the broom.
Time for a holiday.
Life is Cabaret, old chum,
Come to the Cabaret.

Come taste the wine,

Come hear the band.
Come blow your horn,
Start celebrating;
Right this way,
Your table's waiting

No use permitting

some prophet of doom
To wipe every smile away.
Life is a Cabaret, old chum,
Come to the Cabaret!

I used to have a girlfriend

known as Elsie
With whom I shared
Four sordid rooms in Chelsea

She wasn't what you'd call

A blushing flower...
As a matter of fact
She rented by the hour.

The day she died the neighbors

came to snicker:
"Well, thats what comes
from to much pills and liquor."

But when I saw her laid out like a Queen

She was the happiest...corpse...I'd ever seen.
I think of Elsie to this very day.

I'd remember how'd she turn to me and say:
~Fred Ebb & John Kander


Tap dance on a floor tiled with sky and a bottomless pit. You can do anything! You've walked through the door between the impossible and the possible, between doubt and fearlessness. You've got the keys to the kingdom, lady! 

(Okay, I know the song contains a lot of desperation and nihilism, especially as intrepreted by Liza Minelli, and doesn't quite fit the card, but...I love Liza and the card reminds me of the song. ;) )

So today, may I dance, in a good way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your wisdom, please! Comments welcome.