Thursday 18 August 2011

'Predict Your Future by Creating It' with Gaian Tarot


Beth Owl's-Daughter's 'Predict Your Future by Creating It' Spread
 Gaian Tarot by Joanna Powell Colbert, Llewellyn 2011


From left to right, cards are numbered 1-6: (Client chooses cards 1 and 6 from the majors before the draw, then the remainder of the cards are shuffled together to draw cards 2-5).

1. Where are you today?- Bindweed (aka The Devil)
2. What challenges you - 4 of Water (4 of Cups)
3. What action you can take to meet that challenge - 10 of Fire (10 of Wands)
4. The next step - The Canoe (The Chariot)
5. How Mystery helps you - Guardian of Air (Queen of Swords)
6. Where do you want be? The Sun

Where am I today?
I selected Bindweed. I do feel bound by my addiction to sugar and sweets, and I feel I am not acting with intention in areas that I have told myself are important to me. I feel stuck and without a clear idea of what to do to free myself. It pains me that my actions are in such opposition to my goals and hopes for myself.

What challenges me
The 4 of Water carries some of the RWS meaning of 4 of Cups, which I always take to mean boredom and refusing to look at the good things in life that are on offer. In this card, a woman gazes into the Chalice Well at Glastonbury. I've been there, and it's a lovely place and really does have a spiritual feeling to it. The shadow meaning of the card is feeling like my 'well is empty, drained, bored, lethargic' (words from the companion book). I would have to agree. I'm not feeling the level of motivation I used to enjoy when it comes to certain of my goals.

What action I can take to meet that challenge
The 10 of Fire depicts a forest fire. There are billows of choking smoke. It looks unfightable, like something that must burn itself out completely. The companion book reminds us that forest fires do occur naturally and are not necessarily a disaster, although we tend to see them as such. Actually, forest fires make way for new growth, and are part of the life cycle of the forest. The message here is that something must be completely done away with in order to facilitate growth in my life. But what? What am I hanging onto that I must release, and not only release, but completely obliterate? The companion books states, 'You must release your passions and energies, whether or not you want to, whether or not you think you're ready. It is time.' Surely this means I have to just do it. I need to make a list of behaviours and thought patterns that need to be burned away...or maybe it's the list making that needs burning away!

The next step
The Canoe is the Gaian equivalent to the RWS Chariot. A very determined looking bloke paddles through the water, while an eagle, salmon, and killer whales accompany him for the journey. I know the salmon is a Celtic symbol of wisdom, the eagle represents nobility and survival to me, the orcas I don't know why they're there. I'll have to give that a think. The main message here is to paddle on with single-minded focus. I notice he's paddling fiercely AWAY from the forest fire. So the message seems to be, burn it down and move ON. Now is now, and the way I succeeded last time may not be the way I will be successful this time.

How 'Mystery' helps
Mystery is a curious word here. I guess it means 'the Universe', or as Eckhart Tolle calls it 'Universal Consciousness'. It looks like she's here to kick my butt, because the Guardian of Air is pretty much a straight out of RWS Queen of Swords. She sees right through all the bullcrap and has no patience for slackers. She will help me be honest with myself and take the necessary steps to achieve my goals--even if that means, as the companion book says, adopting an 'autonomous and austere lifestyle'. I sort of like the sound of that.

Where do I want to be?
The Sun! Healthy, happy, having achieved my goals. Really enjoying my life and the feeling of being free. I love the stone wall symbol. The companion books says, 'The stone wall represents keeping your boundaries strong so that you stay away from mindsets and habits that bring unhappiness.' Yes to that!

This reading was a bit of an owie. It seems to be saying, grow up. Get on with it and stop whining. Who'd have thought this sweet little poodle of a deck would nip my fingers on the first go.

Right, next step...a more in depth exploration of that 10 of Fire card...





3 comments:

  1. Lot of pretty pictures in this deck. I agree, these cards seem to be telling your to cut the apron strings of something. That might be a dolphin in the chariot. Studies show they have a real language of their own in addition to understanding human language. The message is there you are oblivious to it?
    Sharyn/AJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous18.8.11

    Hi Carla, just wanted to write and tell you I really love reading your blog. One of my favorites actually :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why, thank you, pixelinatarot!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here: