Friday 12 August 2011

'Taste the rainbow...'

How about a little colour today? This card is from the Pearls of Wisdom Tarot by Roxi Sim (7th House Publishing, 2008).

What a perfect card for today! I'm off work, got the whole day ahead of me...other than an appointment to get my hair cut at 9.30, I have no obligations at all. I am free to daydream, relax, enjoy the hours as they pass. I can fill them with anything I like, or nothing at all. This my day to refresh myself, a day of love (symbolised by the hearts) and renewal (the butterflies). The cups are filled with water, air, fire, and shooting stars! It's a card that tells me not to worry, to just enjoy everything today. No goals to meet, no promises to keep, no expectations to fulfill.

This is the second edition of the Pearls of Wisdom Tarot, which I'm told is bigger than the 1st edition, and also has dark purple borders, while the 1st edition had white. I got this deck in a trade with someone...I can't remember what I traded for it. I think it was Housewives Tarot. That was a great swap for me, because I really disliked Housewives (I thought it was going to be kitschy fun, but it ended up, to me, to be caustic and flippant), whereas I've loved Roxi's deck from the moment I opened the box.

The story behind the Pearls of Wisdom Tarot may be familiar. The artist, Roxi Sim, came to paint the deck after suffering a debilitating illness and losing her son, her mother and both parents-in-law in the span of 10 years. She went into a deep depression and painting this truly uplifting tarot deck was, as she put it, her 'art therapy to paint her way out of depression'. She painted it whilst living in the Caribbean, over seven years. Each card is a complete riot of colour and nature imagery. Most cards, if you look closely enough, show nature personified, usually as a green hillside depicted as a sleeping woman, in the background of the card. I love the naive art style and vibrant colours.

I feel the need for some colour in my life lately. I think I'll draw from this deck for the next few days.

2 comments:

  1. I really love how you read with decks I usually can't or won't read with. The "Pearls of Wisdom" is a deck I never really liked because of its busy busy busy imagery! And yet I loved watching you interepret the elements in the card!

    I wish I was having a day like yours! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Marina! I take it out, look at it, and then say, Nah, not for me, not today, but you see something there I don't, or am too distractable to notice. I hope it was a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here: