Tuesday 25 February 2014

Tear it down to build it up

Ancient Italian Tarot
'How are you improving and restructuring yourself and your environment? What structures in your life are breaking up?' 
~ Tarot for Yourself, Mary K Greer

Today's card is La Torre, the Tower, from Ancient Italian Tarot (Llewellyn, 2000), which is of course the Soprafino Tarot , created in 1835 by Carlo Della Rocca. It's based on the Tarot de Marseilles, but is, as its name makes plain, 'very refined' in comparison.

Actually, today is my last day at my 'new' job, the one I've been going to every Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday since the first week of January. I'm leaving it to go to my new new job next Monday. I'll finish out the rest of this week at my old work place (my Monday/Thursday base since Jan), and then that's that.

So, Mary K Greer's book 'Tarot for Yourself' asks, 'What structures in your life are breaking up?' And that seems pretty obvious. On Sunday morning, I had a huge cull of my wardrobe, getting rid of all those old clothes that no longer fit me. It was a giant black sack full, one of those big plastic sacks like you use to rake leaves. And then yesterday at my 'old' workplace, I spent time deleting documents from my personal area and cleaning out the file drawer assigned to me. Tomorrow I'll be cleaning out my locker and pigeonhole. I've sent emails telling everyone to take me off their mailing list. It's a strange time for me. I've worked at this workplace nearly ten years. That's probably too long to stay in one place.

You know, the Tower doesn't always have to be a bolt from the blue. It can be a conscious choice. It can be simple disruption. It can be, as Mary K Greer says, 'outgrowing your environment' or 'involvement in drastic self-improvement program, housecleaning, fasting.' Well, I certainly haven't been fasting, but there's been a lot of housecleaning and bringing things to a close lately. Today is the first full stop. Then Friday is the last full stop. It's only a 12-month secondment, but 12 months is a long time, and who knows what I'll be doing come March 2015. So...the end of the known, and heading into the unknown.

Today's the first lightning bolt I guess. The first crash into the structure and routine of my days. Not to worry, though. I'm a pro at structure building, and I'll begin building my new one next Monday. :)

2 comments:

  1. I think it is a brave thing to destroy your tower by choice. I hope you new job will bring you everything you have hoped for and will become a cornerstone for a magnificent new tower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your upbeat view of this Tower time, and wish you good tearing down, and exciting building up! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here: