Friday 25 January 2013

Thoughts on Thoth

It's funny that this card from Thoth Tarot is called 'Science', because the other day I conducted a little experiment with the deck. I handed the deck to my hubby, who knows nothing about tarot other than I am very interested in it and have a lot of decks.

'Look through these cards,' I said, 'And just say words that come to mind.'

Now, hubster is not the most intuitive or emotive person (his review of 'Les Miserables': 'They all should have died in the first half hour, then they could have used the screen to show 'Sky Fall' or 'The Hobbit' again'). He's very matter of fact and practical, so I wasn't expecting poetry or much in the way of emotional reactions. He is amiable, though, so obligingly started looking through the cards and blurting words:




Cold
Aloof
Distant
Precise
Scientific
Geometry
Mathematic
Like schematics
Formal
Masonic (this having noted the eye at the top of the Tower card)

He just kept repeating the word 'Scientific' over and over. And so I asked him how the deck made him feel, and had to prod him by asking if any of the imagery was disturbing or did he get a sense of anything sinister, or whatever. 'No, it doesn't make me feel anything. It is cold.'

I told him that the first time I looked at the deck, it reminded me of ice. He nodded.

So I took a look through the deck and tried to do my own list, which was harder because I know a bit more about tarot, this deck and the deck creator. (Just a tiny bit!). But my list is not dissimilar:

Crystalline
Ice crystals
Lacks human warmth
No humanity, no human beings
Heavy in occult symbolism
Stylized
Angular
Prickly
Not connected to the natural world
Mysterious
Oppressive
Decadent
Rigid
Controlled
Precise

It is probably because of these gut reactions that I have picked this deck up and put it down so many times. Having worked with it every day for two weeks now, the images are becoming familiar, and therefore less frightening (if that's the right word, which it isn't). I am able to look beyond my instinctive disconnect to try to see what's going on behind the cards. Some of the most distasteful ones begin to take on meaning. Like that horrible green-dripping 7 of Cups. Ewww.

I just wonder how different my reaction would be if a different artist had been commissioned to paint this deck. I wonder how much of the 'coldness' is Aleister Crowley's Thelema, and how much is Lady Frieda Harris's deco stylings. Don't get me wrong, I usually love deco. I'm just taking a stab in the dark here.

I have all fingers and toes crossed that the Lon Milo DuQuette book turns up today, because I am chomping at the bit to read more about this odd deck.

5 comments:

  1. interesting exercise and definitely interesting to read your husband's reactions especially. i say it again, i love reading your posts because your perspective and your reaction to it is so different from my own, and thus you approach it totally differently, and yeah :]

    for fun i decided to do it too (biased though I obviously am) and here are mine:

    rich in color
    brutal honesty
    geometry, form
    empowering
    logic
    power
    harsh
    dynamic
    precise
    nuanced
    clear
    raw energy
    real, no sugar-coat
    layered
    complex
    vivid
    beautiful

    hmm, you know, besides the differences in artistic taste, i think one of the reasons my reaction on a gut level is so different is...i love this deck in the same way I lover rollercoasters and skydiving and the kind of music i tend to like...the intensity, the fact that it doesn't pull punches and doesn't shy away from the bad/difficult/taboo...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually have a lot in common in how we experience the deck. I don't have some of your experiences with it yet ('brutal honesty', 'raw energy', 'no sugar-coat') because I have so far really done only one-card draws for observation, no actual readings.

      I suppose in a cerebral way, I can accept that this deck is beautiful.

      Delete
  2. I'm with you and the hubster on this: the Thoth just feels too cold to me. I like bold colours, I don't have a problem with the lack of people, I don't need sugar coating. But I need a little warmth, a little curvaceousness, some lines that don't feel like they are out to stab me. It's a visceral thing! And so, though I would never want to give this deck up, it will never be a favourite, nor a regular reading deck for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'A little curvaceousness' -- yes, this! Voluptuousness, appetite, life! I need to see a bit of that. That's probably why I don't connect easily with this deck. However, I am really intrigued by it and want to give it a fair chance. I've come this far with it, and should probably continue. Afraid if I stop now, next time I pick it up, all the 'ick' factor will have returned and I will have to start at square one!

      Delete
  3. Too symmetrical... too ordered......

    I find that the cards are caged in some way, I feel little movement in the images... because they are pretty cold and rigid. I think my favourite is 2 of Disks, its the most curvy and I love the colours....

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here: