Tuesday 29 January 2013

Way of the Horse: Out of Body

Way of the Horse, Linda Kohanov
The 'Out of Body' referred to in this card from Way of the Horse by Linda Kohanov comes in two types:
1) the 'freeze' response of the prey, and 2) the 'lost time' of the artist.



We've all seen rabbits freeze when they notice our presence, and we've probably also seen how antelope (or  other prey animals) go limp and passive as soon as the predator has them by the throat or leg. This is the first type of being 'out of body'. It is a way of protecting ourselves from experiences that would be too much for our minds. Victims of violent crime report this when they describe their experience as if they had viewed it from outside their own bodies. In day to day life, this defense mechanism might manifest itself as feelings constantly wooly-headed, not paying attention to what's going on around you, avoiding all conflict, forgetting things, and so on. You're 'out of body' because your job, your relationship, your life, is just more than you want to deal with. It's like what happens when you are driving somewhere and you arrive there and can barely remember the journey. Your brain disengaged out of boredom, that time. This sort of response can be helpful for a time, but is no long-term solution.

The other type of being 'out of body' is what happens when you become so engrossed in a project that you lose time.  This is a healthier type of dissociation. I think it would be almost a 'higher plane' type of experience, where the mind and spirit are communing with the 'muse'.

Both types of being 'out of body' can be useful, but I suppose the message of the card is to be aware of what is going on, whichever type is happening to us. How have I been out of body? What was this a response to? What might be a better coping strategy now, or what action should I take now that I have realised what's going on? That sort of thing.

3 comments:

  1. Guh, I can relate to this card in oh-so many levels. It's SO easy for me to 'leave' my body out of boredom. And in fact, the only emotion in my life that makes me overeat is boredom - I think it's me trying to compensate my total lack of commitment to my practical present - I try to 'ground' myself again using food. Sometimes it works but usually not very healthy (lettuce doesn't really ground you, chocolate does... you get the idea).

    What a beautiful deck! I've always been curious about it, being the big horse-lover I am! It's nice to see you using it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean! But I also eat when I'm happy, when I'm sad, when I feel rejected, when I celebrate... :)

      Delete
  2. I love the clouds in this card. Reminds me of the cloud effects in the painting on the ceiling of the Sistene chaple by Michaelangelo.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here: