Tuesday 14 January 2014

Crashing onto the shore - Prince of Cups

Thoth Tarot
The Prince of Cups from Thoth Tarot comes blowing toward us, pushed by a giant wave, his curvy chariot pulled by a black eagle. In one hand, a giant lotus, in the other a cup with a snake rising from it, and on his head, a very grand helmet topped by what I assume to be another eagle. I like the way the eagle skims low over the shallow water of the beach, and how the incoming tide crashes along just behind our hero.

Though Prince of Cups is not much of a hero. He's not much like the RWS Knight of Cups, either, if that's what you're thinking. I don't know what Crowley's problem was with Prince of Cups, but he says:

'He is subtle, violent, crafty and artistic; a fierce nature with a calm exterior. Powerful for good or evil but more attracted by the evil if allied with apparent Power of Wisdom. If ill dignified, he is intensely evil and merciless.'  He goes on to say he is 'completely without conscience and usually distrusted by his neighbours.'

What, our mooning Knight of Cups intensely evil and merciless? This is something new indeed! For a more open perspective, I quite like Angel Paths website. Jan uses these words to describe the Prince of Cups: self-contained, secretive, hiding deepest passions, moody, sensitive, highly perceptive, readily using intuition. These qualities make more sense to me -- the Prince of Cups after all is 'Air of Water'. The thoughtful side of emotion. She goes on to say: 'The Prince of Cups works with desire on all levels. All we have to do is wish hard enough. And his energy will help us to achieve our aims. So on a day ruled by him, select one thing that you really really want, and spend a little time visualising it, imagining what it would feel like to have it, or experience it, and then gather all your strong feelings up into a bundle and push them out into the Universe.' 

Now that makes more sense to me. It seems to be more in line with Gerd Ziegler's interpretation in 'Tarot: Mirror for the Soul' -- 'Spend some time each day visualising yourself and your desires without getting lost in them.' (Although he seems to think that those desires are of a sexual nature, as the affirmation for the card given is: 'I now live out my sexual desires. This makes me more vital and fulfilled.' Well, this is why we need to read more than one person's thoughts about a card.)

I can put together some advice from all this, though. Today is my first day in a new job. I take this card as meaning I should keep my thoughts and feelings to myself, play things close to my chest. Best not share everything that flits through my head!

Also, I have been shortlisted for a completely different post, and the interview is on Monday morning! I just found out yesterday afternoon. So today is a good day to begin visualising myself being successful at interview and securing the post, but without losing sight of the current new job and the possibility that this is my 'new home' (should I not be successful at Monday's interview.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment here: