Tuesday 7 January 2014

Slicing through confusion

Thoth Tarot 
I'll be honest and tell you that this morning I pulled the Princess of Wands, but because I just blogged about that the other day, I reshuffled and got Knight of Swords. I always wonder if I should go with a card even if it's the same one day in and day out, but what I usually do (though I don't tell you about it) is keep the 'real' card in my head for myself, and pull a different card for blogging purposes to keep things more varied and interesting. Sometimes I will go ahead and write about it again though. It really just depends on how I'm feeling.

So anyway, I woke up this morning and saw the rain on the windows and looked out to see it lashing it down out there. (One of the advantages of a hearing loss is I am not disturbed at night by the sounds of rain or wind - unless it's like a tropical storm, which never happens in the Midlands!). So when I pulled Princess of Wands, I thought, meh. I just had this one and it's totally gloppy out there. What else you got? And I drew this image of Junior in a propeller hat riding Goldie the Flying Wonder Horse. That should keep us busy for five minutes.

This is the Knight of Swords, the equivalent of the King of Swords in RWS packs. (Crowley's courts have Princesses for Pages, Princes for Knights, Queens, and Knights for Kings. Someone I read somewhere offered the theory that Crowley's adolescent sense of the power led him to put Knights at the top of the heap -- the flashy armoured warrior on a horse being much more dashing and showy than an old dude seated on a throne looking wise. I bet that really is the long and the short it!) So even though it's called Knight, it's 'really' a King.

But why is he wearing a pointy beanie with a propeller on it? That's what we all want to know. DuQuette says it's not a propeller hat but that the wings are on the Knight's back, and that there may not be four of them, perhaps it's two that are spinning. Well, it looks like they're on his hat to me, so that's where they're staying. In fact maybe they're not even wings. Maybe they're like blades of air from his keen (pointy?) mind, swirling around with all his sharp insights. Why not, eh? He's a choppy juggernaut chugging through the sky slicing away the illogical, the ill-conceived, the nonsensical. He has a sword in one hand and a dagger in the other--the sword and dagger technique of combat has a light sword in one hand for offense, and short dagger in the other for defense. Our Knight leans forward in the saddle with both thrust forward--he is equally adept at using his intellectual prowess for attack and defense, clearly.

Drawing this card today suggests that today would be a good time to try to sort out sticky problems that I haven't been able to see a solution to. The Knight of Swords suggests answers will make themselves more apparent today. In fact, they might just come to you, poof! In a sudden flash, like shiny transparent wings chopping over your head.

Well. It could happen.

4 comments:

  1. A great post. I understand the need to pull a different card than one you blogged about recently. I appreciate your honest about it. The Thoth deck is always a fun one when interpreting the images in such an abstract picture. I think it looks like a propeller too ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the wings, they are most certainly not centred on his back! I love that you don't the Thoth too seriously :D Hope those insights just poured in today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, something poured in but it wasn't very helpful! Overthinking, my constant bugbear!

      Delete

Leave a comment here: