Thursday 25 October 2012

Isn't she lovely?

Hezicos Tarot, Griffin 2010
Today the Hezicos Tarot offers me the Star card. I am quite taken with this image. It is one of my favourites in the deck. The colours are beautiful and the scene is so evocative, with its mossy rocks, tumbling blue stream, water lilies and blue pickerel weed. As in the traditional RWS image, from one hand she pours water onto water, from the other hand she pours water onto land (or in this case, rock). However, she does have both feet on the ground rather than one on land and one on water. The liquid pouring on land and water is said to represent the integration of our dual nature of body/spirit, conscious/subconscious, baser/higher. The pitchers flow in an endless supply. The card is always representative of hope and renewal.

I quite appreciate the depiction of the woman in the image. Her body is not oversexualized as you see in some tarots, such as the Druidcraft. (Don't misunderstand, I love the Druidcraft, but why do the nudes have to be 19-year-old Page 3 models?) I like that this small-breasted figure is crouching in a manner to do with the task at hand rather than to emphasize certain parts of her anatomy. Okay, I like that she's got tiny tah-tahs. It makes a change.

In fact, I think they might just count as two of the 8 stars from the original RWS. Five in the sky, one on her headband, where are the other two?

I don't know why, but the more I gaze at this card the more I love it. She has such a demure look on her face. What a feeling of peace and hope you see here. The crystal purity of the stream. The life inherent in the colours. The movement of the water. I can even imagine the cool feel of the moss underfoot. I notice her foot is even casting a shadow. This would be an easy card to fall into for meditation.

I may just have to give that a go. (I hope there's a fleece jumper just outside the frame!)

1 comment:

  1. i totally agree with you about too many modelesque/sexualized images of women in a lot of otherwise great decks. I agree, this one is quite lovely :]

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here: