Wednesday 28 November 2012

Sorry, what were we just talking about?

Morgan's Tarot, US Games
Okay, I have to admit something. I've nearly overrun the bathtub twice in the last 6 months. The first time it was right up to the edge. Second time, it was about 1/3 full, which is 2 or 3 times deeper than I usually run it. *sigh*

I've also developed a new method of cooking. Put the food in a tin, preheat the oven. Wander off. Go back to the kitchen in a half hour to see how it's going and find the food still sitting on the stovetop. Swear and put food in the oven.

Alternate method: put food in oven and go back in an hour to find it blackened and smoking.

Advanced method: Take food out at perfect time and have meal as normal. Return to kitchen at bedtime to check on things and find the oven is still on.

Optional bonus: decide it's a good idea to swap two items from one rack to the other. Take the first item out, put it on stovetop. Use the oven glove to pick up the second item, stand up and try to pick up the first item with your bare hand. Yes I did this last week. I then spent the remainder of the evening sitting with my hand in a bowl of ice water, which prevented it from actually developing a blister. I let go of that pan REALLY quick, but still. What the heck is this all about? At the rate I'm going, I won't be able to take care of myself by the time I'm 55, let alone 85. I've heard that absent-mindedness is a symptom of peri-menopause, so I'm hoping that's all it is. My GP doesn't seem too concerned. But then, he doesn't seem too concerned about much. Still, how excited can you get about a forgetful middle-aged woman when you've got 5,000 people in your practice, and 30 of them are in your waiting room right now.

You can get philosophical with this card. What was true for us yesterday obviously may not be true for us today. Some people have a problem with that, like my Hubster. If I said 8 years ago that I don't fancy Quavers and then I buy some in a corner shop, he's likely to pipe up, 'But you don't like Quavers.' Seriously, he would do that. I, on the other hand, have always been pretty good at drawing a line under the past. I hope I get out of the habit of drawing a line under when I turned on the bathtub tap--that's a bit extreme.

Maya Angelou said it best: 'We did then what we knew to do. And when we knew better, we did better.' What was true for us yesterday may not be true today. This card asks us to examine our cherished or long-held truths to see if they really work for us anymore. Or it could just be a reminder to go check the bathtub tap.

4 comments:

  1. Hmm, I guess what it makes me wonder is, where does your mind go when it isn't on the bath running or the oven etc? Perhaps there's something important there?

    Really like the Maya Angelou quote :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell you, it goes into complete limbo. If that's zen, I better take out more home owner's insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! Zen is about non-attachment ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am seriously (and menopausingly) laughing out loud.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here: