Wednesday 7 November 2012

Meeting the Faeries

Froud Faeries' Oracle in its new bag with the Faerie Notebook
My new Faeries' Oracle (Brian Froud and Jessica Macbeth, 2000) is out of the box for good. Funnily, it just didn't want to be in there. It seems very happy in the simple cotton print bag that actually came with my Wicca Moon Tarot, but that alas my Wicca Moon cards won't even fit into properly. The Faeries' Oracle fits perfectly, and as Jessica Macbeth instructed me to do in the companion book (she's bossy, but I like it!), I found a small notebook lying around and ripped out the first few used pages (it had a brief life as a 'food journal in October 2011--the faeries laughed at that as I pulled those pages out), numbered the remaining pages 0-65, and now have my new complete set. I may just chuck the box. (And this after I spent some time the other day converting it from a slip box, which I really dislike, to a lidded box. It's a simple matter of cutting out the back panel and artfully using clear tape to reconstruct the sleeve into a lid that fits over the insert that the cards fit into).

This is the first time I've made up (or channeled ??) my own meanings for cards, without reading the companion book. It is an interesting process. I am now on card number 25. Forty-one more to go! (I am leaving 'Fairy Guide' for last). After I write my first thoughts, I then take a peek at the guidebook and add anything from it that strikes me as being either similar to my own thoughts, or something I didn't think of that resonates. At the moment I am leaving out anything in the guidebook that doesn't 'sound right'.

The Piper, from Faeries' Oracle, Froud 2000
Above is a sample of my notes. I have front and back of one sheet per card, plus a few sheets at the back where I can make further notes or maybe some card spreads. This is a fun little project.


5 comments:

  1. Good job on making your notebook (ad making the box the way you want it)! I never really got around to that, and maybe that is why the Faeries don't talk to me; just d naughty things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it's never too late! Go get them out and have a little chat with them. They'll play nice if you listen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! I like the idea of making your own little guidebook. I think I'll do the same with one of my favorite decks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent, Siddaleah! Which do you think you'll do?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a good question! I love all my decks. A pretty little handwritten guidebook would go nicely with my Joie De Vivre deck and I do tend to get especially nurturing messages from that deck. Si maybe that one.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here: