Tuesday 6 November 2012

First draw from the Faeries' Oracle

The Faeries' Oracle by Brian Froud, book by Jessica Macbeth. Simon & Schuster, 2000.



This deck arrived yesterday and I had to start looking at it. Jessica Macbeth's very engaging book told me to go through the deck and pick the card I find most appealing, the one that makes me most uncomfortable, and then to turn them face down and pick up the one that 'calls' me. Then I was to answer a series of questions about them. I was cautioned NOT to go to the back of the book and look up the meanings, so I haven't.
My most appealing card is 50, Arval Parrot. I see him as safe, welcoming, friendly, wise, wanting to talk and share his friendly wisdom. He might manifest in life as a friend you can talk to, a teacher or confidant. The aspect of life he could represent might be knowing when to speak and knowing when to keep silent. The symbols that stand out to me are the bright light at the throat, his hand pointing to it, the bright sparks at the tips of his antennae, his friendly-eyed grin. His spiritual characteristics seem to be warmth, understanding. His smiling eyes and the inclination of his head are the things that I find most appealing, while the pointing to the throat is most uncomfortable as it suggests to me the need to keep quiet and only say words that are worth saying. He uses his antennae to determine when to talk and how much to say.

My most uncomfortable card is 64, Gawtcha. It is scary to me. It seems to mean being watched, being afraid, something hidden that would be scary when revealed. The activity I see in it is cowering, worrying about finding out something I don't want to see or know. The mental characteristics would be worry, fear; spiritual characteristic, lack of trust. The thing that makes me most uncomfortable is the piercing eye, and not knowing what is hidden behind the hands--perhaps her face is a gruesome horror that would frighten me if she revealed it, which it looks like she is just about to do. I suppose part of it is she looks like she might just be afraid, and if I trust her and move toward her to help, she might drop her hands and become a very frightening and threatening thing.

The card that called to me is 13, Solus. This card does not reveal much emotion. It seems beyond emotion. Its physical manifestation, though it seems beyond the physical, would probably be health and vigor. Mentally, it suggests connection to much higher realms, the gods, the universe. Spiritually it suggests connection, with the light shining at the heart chakra and the third eye ablaze.

Macbeth says that the first card is telling me what I am trying to create in my life. The second card is my strongest inner conflict and represents my most important teacher. And the third card is a message from the universe via my own higher self, to help me resolve the issues of the middle card and move toward what I want in the first card.

I would say this is an accurate reading. I do want to be a certain type of homely, zen-like person, rather than a volatile person who yammers on all the time. And I am plagued by vague and undefined worries that hold me back from all sorts of things. But that enigmatic stare from Solus throws me a bit. What could it mean? It is like an electric tranquility.

Anyway, that's my first go with the Faeries' Oracle. I'm now off to read on in the companion book (if Jessica says it's okay-she's very strict!) I may do posts running alongside the Camelot ones.

6 comments:

  1. Looks like a great set!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading about your first experience with the Faeries, and it reminded me of mine, which was in a lot of ways similar (I even thought Jessica Macbeth was going to come yell at me if I did anything wrong.)

    You're very insightful about yourself and your inner workings, and you reflect that in the cards. "Electric tranquility" I love those words ad that idea!

    You can laugh at my first go round with the Faeries if you'd like to-
    http://78whispers.blogspot.com/2009/01/initial-faeries-reading-something-for.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link. You cheated and looked at the book!!! What a cheeky monkey.

    I am trying to decide if Jessica wants me to do my little page-per-card notebook before I read the card meanings (I skipped them and read the stuff at the back) or to use that as a tool as I do readings with the cards, in addition to the middle bit of the book. Somehow I am attracted to the idea of writing my own thoughts before I look at the book.

    Today I plan to lay them out in their sets of 13 (Singers, Sidhe, Guardians & Guides, Help-line Troop and Challengers), and have a good hard look at them as groups.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did cheat. That is why I like tarot, I like the structure, and I don't do well with oracles. But you are doing great with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's okay, there's no cheating in divination--you do it how you do it. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny, I quite like Gawtcha! I'm a bit like that, can't keep my eyes closed if there's stuff going on, even if I know I shouldn't be peeking ;) A different perspective...

    I really loved what you got out of your reading, though, and have to say I agree with everything you said about Solus, who is one of my favourites :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here: